RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., Jan. 9, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Yield rules the day and gin turnout adds to the power of five new Bayer varieties that will be available in limited quantities for 2018 planting.
"Choosing the right variety for the right field to harvest the right yield is paramount to successfully managing a cotton crop," says Jason Wistehuff, Bayer product manager for FiberMax® and Stoneville® cotton. "We set growers up for success by giving them the options they need to choose the right variety for each field. These new varieties combine with our existing variety lineup to ground the season in sound science. Growers apply their management skills to these variety options to make the right choices for their farm."
The new varieties for 2018 for FiberMax are:
- FM 2498GLT. Growers looking for excellent yield potential with medium maturity can look to FM 2498GLT. This semi-smooth variety offers bacterial blight resistance and very good fiber quality potential. FM 2498GLT is adapted to the High Plains, Rolling Plains, Oklahoma, South Texas and East Texas.
- FM 2574GLT. Dryland production on the Rolling Plains feels like home for FM 2574GLT. With outstanding fiber potential and excellent yield potential, growers also can count on this variety for bacterial blight resistance and very good Verticillium wilt tolerance. This smooth leaf variety also offers high gin turnout.
The new varieties for 2018 for Stoneville are:
- ST 5471GLTP. Growers from South Texas to Virginia can find outstanding yield potential and exceptional quality in ST 5471GLTP. With the three-gene protection of TwinLink Plus, the crop is less likely to need a worm treatment. Resistance to bacterial blight and very good tolerance to Verticillium wilt ensures this smooth-leaf variety starts strong and stays strong all season. ST 5471GLTP is broadly adapted for the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Delta and South Texas.
- ST 5818GLT. Dryland growers can look to ST 5818GLT for the high performance they need. With excellent yield potential and exceptional quality, this smooth-leaf variety offers very good early-season vigor and maintains stable performance in a mid- to full maturity environment. ST 5818GLT is adapted to the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Delta and South Texas.
- ST 5122GLT. With a quick jump out of the ground, ST 5122GLT delivers outstanding yield potential and fiber quality. This smooth leaf variety fits the early- to mid-maturity spot on the farm and offers very good tolerance to Verticillium wilt. ST 5122GLT is widely adapted to the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Delta, East Texas and Northern Rolling Plains.
These varieties add to the long list of high-performing varieties from FiberMax and Stoneville. Growers can learn more about these varieties by contacting a member of their Bayer team or by visiting FiberMax.com and Stoneville.com.
"Our variety lineup is proof of our commitment to deliver varieties with the high yield potential, premium quality, herbicide tolerance and disease and insect resistance growers need to choose the right seed for the right field," Wistehuff says. "Growers need high-performing varieties to set the stage for a successful season. When growers succeed, we succeed."
Each of the five varieties offers the proven, flexible weed management that growers rely on from FiberMax and Stoneville cotton: LibertyLink® and GlyTol®.
- LibertyLink arms growers with the ability to apply Liberty® herbicide in-season. Liberty herbicide, used in an effective herbicide program in LibertyLink crops, has been proven to provide the most effective broad-spectrum control of challenging weeds, including weed species resistant to other herbicides, such as Palmer amaranth (pigweed), marestail, morning glory, kochia and annual grasses.
- GlyTol provides the flexibility of over-the-top glyphosate herbicide treatment and delivers proven crop safety to various glyphosate formulations with no impact on yield, quality or plant height.
For protection from worms, TwinLink® and TwinLink Plus traits provide Bt protection against major lepidopteran pests, such as tobacco budworm, cotton bollworm, pink bollworm and beet armyworm. TwinLink offers two-gene protection. TwinLink Plus provides three-gene protection, which increases resistance management and decreases the likelihood that a crop will need to be treated for worms.
Bayer is committed to bringing new technology and solutions for agriculture and non-agricultural uses. For questions concerning the availability and use of products, contact a local Bayer representative, or visit Crop Science, a division of Bayer, online at www.cropscience.bayer.us.
Visit the Bayer Connect - Social Hub for social media, recent news, blog posts, videos and more from Crop Science, a division of Bayer.
Bayer: Science For A Better Life
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At the same time, the Group aims to create value through innovation, growth and high earning power. Bayer is committed to the principles of sustainable development and to its social and ethical responsibilities as a corporate citizen. In fiscal 2016, the Group employed around 115,200 people and had sales of EUR 46.8 billion. Capital expenditures amounted to EUR 2.6 billion, R&D expenses to EUR 4.7 billion. These figures include those for the high-tech polymers business, which was floated on the stock market as an independent company named Covestro on October 6, 2015. For more information, go to www.bayer.us.
Bayer Media Hotline, 1-862-404-5118, or
Linda Arnold Whaley
Crop Science, a division of Bayer
Tel: (919) 549-2836
Pam (Golden) Caraway
Rhea + Kaiser
Tel: (850) 758-8700
Find more information at www.cropscience.bayer.us.
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer's public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
©2018 Bayer CropScience LP, 2 T.W. Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Always read and follow label instructions. Bayer, the Bayer Cross, FiberMax, GlyTol, Liberty, LibertyLink, Stoneville and TwinLink are registered trademarks of Bayer. Liberty is not registered in all states. For additional product information, call toll-free 1-866-99-BAYER (1-866-992-2937) or visit our website at www.CropScience.Bayer.us.