Science For A Better Life
We help diagnose, alleviate or cure diseases, improve the global food supply and contribute to an active, modern lifestyle.
Passionate People Can Create Change
Our business success is largely attributable to the knowledge, skills and commitment of our employees. It is their ability to innovate and their willingness to embrace continuous development that drives our position as a world-class innovation company.
Sustained success is only possible if we create working conditions that allow all employees to utilize their talents optimally. This is why we value diverse perspectives and provide our employees with the ongoing training they need to remain at the top of their respective fields.
Our Mission & Values
Bayer is a world-class innovation company improving the health of humans, animals and plants. With our products, we are contributing to finding solutions to some of the major challenges of our time. The growing and increasingly aging world population requires improved medical care and an adequate supply of food.
Our goal is to achieve and sustain leadership positions in our markets, thus creating value for our customers, stockholders and employees. To this end, our strategy is designed to help solve some of the most pressing challenges facing mankind, and by doing this exceptionally well, we aim to strengthen the company’s earning power. We are committed to operating sustainably and to addressing our social and ethical responsibilities as a corporate citizen, while at the same time respecting the interests of all our stakeholders.
These values are represented by the word LIFE (Leadership, Integrity, Flexibility and Efficiency). They apply to everyone at Bayer and are firmly integrated into our global performance management system, ensuring a common identity across national boundaries and management hierarchies.
- Be passionate for people and performance
- Show personal drive, inspire and motivate others
- Be accountable for actions and results, successes and failures
- Treat others fairly and with respect
- Give clear, candid and timely feedback
- Manage conflicts constructively
- Create value for all our stakeholders
- Be a role model
- Comply with laws, regulations and good business practices
- Trust others and build trustful relationships
- Be honest and reliable
- Listen attentively and communicate appropriately
- Ensure sustainability: balance short-term results with long-term requirements
- Care about people, safety and the environment
- Drive change actively
- Be ready to adapt to future trends and needs
- Challenge the status quo
- Think and act with customers in mind
- Seek out opportunities and take calculated risks
- Be open-minded
- Embrace lifelong learning
- Manage resources smartly
- Focus on activities that create value
- Do things simply and effectively
- Deliver with appropriate costs, speed and quality
- Speed up good decision-making
- Be accountable for consistent execution
- Collaborate for better solutions
- Access to Medicine Index 2016 (ranked 12th)
- Carbon Disclosure Project 2016 (International Leader in Climate Protection)
- Dow Jones Sustainability World Index 2016
- Top Company for Working Mothers (8x)
- DiversityInc’s Top 10 Global Companies
- President’s Service Award & The Presidential Award in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring for Making Science Make Sense®
Innovation Begins with Our Products
For over 150 years, Bayer has been an innovation company rooted in science. Our presence in the U.S. harkens back to the mid-19th century as a chemical company making dyes in Albany, NY. By the late 19th century, we moved into the healthcare field with the introduction of one of our flagship products, Aspirin. Throughout the next two centuries, we have developed scientific and medical breakthroughs and continued creating some of America’s most loved brands.
In line with our mission “Bayer: Science for A Better Life,” we aim to improve people’s quality of life. For this endeavor, we focus on our core competency of developing and successfully commercializing innovative products and solutions based on scientific knowledge.
- Our solutions help farmers in America provide adequate nutrition to our growing population while maintaining the health and sustainability of our environment.
- We are improving people’s quality of life by preventing, alleviating or curing diseases.
- We are developing innovative care for animals—providing family pets with a longer, better quality of life and ensuring the health and safety of livestock.
- Our high-tech polymer materials are making significant contributions in areas such as energy and resource efficiency for mobility, construction and home living.