Our Core Values Guide Our Actions
Promoting Diversity in STEM
Bayer, through its Making Science Make Sense® initiative and Bayer USA Foundation investments, works to help address the issue of underrepresentation of women and minorities in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields.
In order to cultivate a robust and diverse STEM workforce pipeline, Bayer engages in a number of efforts, including:
- Scholarships and fellowships
- Investments in STEM education reform programs at the elementary, middle and high school levels
- Public awareness and education campaigns
- Bayer Facts of Science Education public opinion surveys focused on the topics of diversity and underrepresentation in STEM
- Employee volunteerism, serving as role models and mentors
Supplier Diversity Program
Our focus on supplier diversity allows us to tap into talented suppliers that have the potential to reduce supply chain risk and be more responsive, innovative and in tune with changing tastes and preferences of our country without sacrificing total cost of ownership.
For example, our G4A Generator program is one pathway for innovators to bring self-care concepts to market.
Supporting Employee Diversity & Inclusion
Bayer U.S. is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences and believe that our human capital is our most valuable asset. The collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture and reputation, but Bayer’s achievement as well. At Bayer we recognize the importance of:
- Building an inclusive climate of equal and quality treatment for all employees that is directly connected to the company’s strength and competitiveness.
- Demonstrating how the diversity of our workforce and leadership can help Bayer better understand and satisfy the needs of the diverse communities we serve.
- Understanding that a diverse employee base brings diversity of ideas, innovation and product solutions. Diversity helps our bottom line.
- Applying the value of a diverse workforce by developing the skills necessary to enable leaders at all levels of our company to succeed.
U.S. Bayer Diversity Advisory Inclusion Council (BDAIC)
The U.S. Bayer Diversity Advisory Inclusion Council (BDAIC) is the overarching D&I council charged with driving Bayer’s initiatives across businesses and functions. The membership consists of a cross section of senior employees from diverse constituencies across Bayer U.S. The (BDAIC) encourages individuals involved with D&I councils and employee resource groups to adopt the following shared goals:
- Promote education and awareness on matters of diversity and inclusion
- Create an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees flourish
- Promote and participate in inclusive and diverse employee recruiting, retention and development practices
- Advise and influence executive management on achieving business goals through diversity and inclusion
The BDAIC meets periodically and establishes work groups aligned with the overarching D&I objectives/goals, and designates senior leaders to serve as executive sponsors for employee resource groups. The BDAIC works to provide consistent and efficient leverage of vital resources across Bayer’s D&I landscape.
The U.S. Diversity & Inclusion Business Councils (DIBCS) are site-based, with the intent of achieving diversity objectives that are unique to the specific location. Their membership consists of a cross-section of employees from diverse constituencies, and the organizations (BBTS, BCS, BGP, BHC) they represent. These councils serve in an advisory role to management and strive to implement BDAIC’s overarching strategy within their location.
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are a vital part of Bayer’s Diversity and Inclusion efforts. By giving a voice to diverse constituencies within the company and to customers like themselves, the employee resource groups assist Bayer with cultivating an inclusive workplace and bringing exceptional, targeted products and services to our customers, clients and shareholders.
ERG’s are voluntary, company sponsored groups of employees who work together to promote cultural diversity, awareness, and education and are key partners in Bayer’s efforts to cultivate an inclusive environment and to engage employees around critical D&I objectives.
Employee resource groups also present opportunities for employees to gain critical skills, contribute unique insights on business objectives, and become a part of a sustainable community that inspires loyalty to Bayer. ERG efforts are focused within four areas: community outreach, recruiting and development, financial impact, and workplace culture. Bayer strongly supports ERGs and strives to facilitate their efforts to:
- Engage employee populations around the importance of supporting diversity and inclusion efforts
- Promote Bayer’s brand and products within their respective circles of influence and educate peers about the U.S. organization’s unwavering commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
- Leverage various talent management functions such as recruiting, learning and leadership development, in collaborative efforts to achieve critical Diversity and Inclusion objectives